Pages

10/23/10

Jude's Arrival

Well it's been two weeks since our little man made his arrival.  We couldn't be more happier.  Jude has been having the best of time with both grandma's having been here to visit.

Jude decided to come on October 8, 2010.  Although I was induced that day, he still decided that was going to be his birthday.  I was scheduled for a Non-stress test that morning at the hospital because I (or Jude inside of me) had quit growing from my last Dr's appointment.  We were told to go prepared because if I failed the test, then we'd be admitted right then into Labor and Delivery to be induced.  Unfortunately, I passed the test!  They did notice that I was low on amniotic fluid and that I was having contractions (I thought they were just Braxton Hicks!).  However, nothing was too severe and Jude's heart rate was steady so we were sent home.  The nurse who helped us suggested we go walking to induce labor ourselves. Disappointed, we headed to the mall because it was raining outside.  We walked around, window shopped, and finally decided to head home.  Although it was 5 days before my due date, we were both in a glum mood knowing that no baby would be born that day.

Just as we were turning onto our street, my phone rang.  It was the Dr. from the hospital who had cleared my non-stress test and sent us home.  He apologized saying that he was informed of the reasons that were having a test done (the growth restriction) and asked if we'd come back to the hospital for him to perform an ultrasound himself.  We turned around and headed back to the hospital.  Our spirits lifted a little, but we weren't letting our hopes up.  We talked about how we both thought we'd get sent back home again.  Once at the hospital, the Dr noticed that I was even lower on fluid than the first nurse had said and Jude was measuring small.  The Dr. talked to us about induction.  We were all in favor!  He told us he thought it'd be ok to go ahead and induce me but ultimately that would be my Dr, Dr. Harrison's decision.  He left to go call her and once again we waited and waited to know what would be happening.  Finally, we got word that they were going to induce me! Hallelujah!

From there on everything seemed to move pretty quickly.  I was admitted into Labor and Delivery and by 3:30pm had my IV of pitocin pumping through me.  Every nurse, doctor, or anyone who walked through our door said to be prepared for the long haul.  I was warned to not expect to have the baby until at least 3-4am but also it could be as long as later the next morning or afternoon.  My doctor even said to, "prove me wrong" when she was explaining how long the process should take.  Well, within about an hour of being induced my water broke.  By around 7pm I was dilated to at least 6 cm.  By 9pm, I was fully dilated and ready to go.  We had to wait a bit for my Dr. to show up...she wasn't ready to get called in so early!  By 9:30pm we were ready and I was given a bigger dose of epidural to help with the pain.  I didn't start pushing until around 10pm or so and little Jude was born at 11:07pm.  He really wanted his birthday to be the 8th!  He weighed in at 5lbs and 10oz and just 17 1/2 in long.  He is our Little man!

We couldn't be more happier and have enjoyed every moment...even the sleepless nights. Jude is a really good baby boy.  He isn't dramatic and cry for no reason and loves to just hang out.  Here are some pictures of our precious baby boy.












   Thanks to Felicia Walker for the beautiful pictures she took of little Jude!

4 comments:

  1. He is a beautiful baby! Thanks for sharing your "story." It was fun to read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah for new babies! Love the pics! We won't be able to make the blessing, but thank you for the offer! Have a GREAT day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a precious little boy! I wish I was there snuggling him right now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pictures of Jude are adorable. And I don't use that word often. Felicia did a wonderful job. But I do have a word of advice....Don't let Jude wash the dishes with his knees. He has dishpan knees. Besides...washing dishes....that's what Kyle's for!

    ReplyDelete